Home / Membership
A JCI Senatorship is the highest honor which can be bestowed upon a current or past member by Junior Chamber International for outstanding service to the organization. It provides a unique means for recognizing a member’s outstanding achievements, and also confers upon that individual a “Life Membership” in Junior Chamber International, although this status does not exempt a member from paying regular membership dues.
A JCI Senatorship may be given to any local Junior Chamber member in appreciation of services rendered at any level of the organization, and is subject to the approval of the local, state, and national Presidents. Current local members must have a minimum of five years of membership before they may be nominated for a JCI Senatorship.
The application forms must be completed, approved, and signed by the local Junior Chamber President, then forwarded to your state Junior Chamber President and United States Junior Chamber President for their signatures, before it can then be submitted to Junior Chamber International along with full payment of the application fee. Applications are generally submitted via the local state JCI Senate. Before starting the application process, check in with your state JCI Senate to determine its specific process.
1. All applications must be signed by the local Chapter President.
2. All Applications must be signed by the State Jaycee President.
3. The applicant must have a minimum of (5) five years as a Jaycee.
4. A letter should be provided by the local chapter indicating why the applicant is deserving of a Senatorship and include an outline which describes the applicant’s accomplishments.
5. The application should be accompanied by at least two (2) letters of recommendation from JCI Senators from the applicant’s local (preferred) or district.
6. All fees must be paid by check or money order from the chapter submitting the application. Separate checks are to be submitted as follows:
* $300.00 – Payable to: Junior Chamber International
* $75.00 – Payable to: U.S. Jaycees
* $35.00 – Payable to: Illinois JCI Senate (or $250.00 for life membership)
It is important to allow sufficient time (6 to 8 weeks) for the application to be repeatedly mailed and processed, especially if it is desired to present the Senatorship at a particular place and time. The application is not approved until it is submitted in the prescribed form, bearing all the necessary signatures, and a full Senate membership payment is received. After the application is approved, the individual is assigned a number and his or her name is entered in the Roll of Senators. The new Senator receives a membership certificate, a membership card, and a Senator’s pin. These materials will be shipped to any location given on the application form if the presentation is to be a surprise, which it should be.
A JCI Senatorship is an honor that can be bestowed upon a member only once in a lifetime. The actual presentation should be conducted with appropriate dignity, and preferably at a formal ceremony. The presentation should be made by a JCI Senator, not by a member who is not a JCI Senator. If there is no JCI Senator available from the local chapter, contact your state JCI Senate for assistance with the presentation. Local chapter members may assist in the presentation. You should have the JCI Senatorship certificate, membership card, and lapel pin on hand. It is strongly recommended to enclose the certificate in a suitable frame ahead of time.
The presentation ceremony and receipt of the JCI Senatorship should be a surprise to the individual and a time that he or she can cherish and remember. Invite family and friends to attend, and encourage one or more fellow members to offer testimonials for the honoree with increasing levels of detail before announcing the name. Then, ask the JCI Senators in the room to rise, and welcome the newest JCI Senator. You may wish to consider including in the packet copies of the testimonial letters submitted with the application so the new JCI Senator may have them to read at their leisure. It will be a very nice touch.